Quick things to do with avocados!
Avocados are amazing things! Full of all sorts of good things, like vital trace minerals (magnesium, manganese, copper, iron and zinc as well as potassium, phosphorous, Vitamin A, B12 and B2.)
Avocados contain no cholesterol, and lots of healthy 'oleic acid' that is thought to be beneficial against inflamation and may actually help your body to reduce cholesterol.
Basically, as far as I am concerned, avocados are amazing and I absolutely adore them!
1) Best breakfast for me, when in a rush in the morning, would be a couple of thin multiseed corncakes, (or beautiful 100% rye sourdough toast!!) with half an avocado mashed onto it, topped with some tinned tuna or sardines (no tomato sauce for me!) and a squeeze of lime or lemon and a scrunch of pink Himalayan salt, a little pepper - or my favourite - Korean chilli flakes, and perhaps, just to be indulgent, a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil or rapeseed oil. Oh! Yes!!
2) Avocado Mayonnaise can be made by whizzing up half an avocado with half a teaspoon of mustard, salt, pepper and a little of the water from a tin of chickpeas - whizz it in a small processor and gently add the oil of your choice - for me it is good quality extra virgin rapeseed oil (RG17 is local and my favourite!!) or a good, not too strong blended olive oil. I often add a bit of turmeric or a couple of sprigs of chopped tarragon to give it extra character. A squeeze of lime and a little maple syrup will add depth. Another favourite is to add a good teaspoon of Gochugaru (fab Korean paste with all sorts of lovely flavours! - try and get a gluten free one if you are sensitive)
3) Dairy-free risotto! Stir some mashed avocado into a risotto (so good with a prawn risotto!) at the end of cooking for an incredibly creamy dairy-free version! You won't miss all that cheese and butter! Throw in some chopped dill at the end! Ugh! So good!!
4) Avocado smoothies - Put a cup and a half of baby spinach or kale, a chopped apple, a cup and a half of fresh apple juice (add a few ice cubes if you want it cold!) into a blender, and whizz until smooth. Sometimes I add a sprinkle of shelled hemp seeds for extra goodness. Aaaah! So good!!!
5) Avocado and lime cheesecake! - Those amazing Hemsley sisters have got it taped with their fabulous recipe. Take a look a this: http://hemsleyandhemsley.tumblr.com/post/60072736875/avocado-lime-cheesecake-with-a-cacao-nib-and-pecan
6) Roast your avocado - Cut your avocados in half, a squeeze of lime and a little oil painted over the surface, put cut side down on a hot grill for a few minutes until good char marks show. Turn the halves over and cook on the skin side too for a few minutes.
Remove from the grill, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Fill the middle with roasted tomatoes and basil, or perhaps with some grilled prawns or some freshly marinated ceviche for a Mexican slant?
7) In a classic green salad - sometimes the simplest things are the best! A classic lettuce salad tossed with toasted seeds, chopped avocado and your favourite mustard vinaigrette! Yum!